-
October 7th, 2001, 02:06 AM
#21
Scott Spears
Guest
I must say I enjoy the feeling of film in my hands, but having cut film and cut on a computer non-linear system, I'll pick a computer everytime. I've edited Super-8, 16mm and 35mm film and I'm glad I did, but the speed of NLEs is some much better.
Also, you have to ask yourself what will happen to you final product. Not many people are going to get to see your film projected on Super-8. You can have such a wider audience if transfer to video and go for a distributor. Hey, I've shot things on Super VHS that have landed distribution in the U.S and foreign countries, so why not something shot on Super-8?
Scott
------------------
-
October 7th, 2001, 03:50 AM
#22
Regular 8 Freak
Guest
No, Mr. Blackstop, you just can't kickstart a Honda Goldwing no matter how hard you try. Better get a Triumph Bonneville instead. I transfer everything(homemade) to video. But I agree I like to splice and edit in FILM first. It just seems like the right thing to do. However, right now I am primarily only doing it for my own amusement and maybe a few friends. I hope to branch out a little and get a editing program for my PC. As far as Super8 users shrinking, maybe it is, I haven't seen the stats on that. Personally, since I began shooting 8mm & S8mm film, it is funny how many people I have met who are doing the same thing. Many of those people are just starting too.
Oh well, think I'll go kick the Bonnie over :-)
------------------
-
October 7th, 2001, 09:39 AM
#23
mattias
Guest
> shoot on Super8 colour neg and have a
> projection print made
well, i don't think there are any print stocks available, and it's obvious it wouldn't look as good as projected k40 anyway. so what do you mean?
/matt
-
October 7th, 2001, 06:30 PM
#24
Frameline
Guest
Well Matttias,I concede to your obvious superior knowledge of printing stock.But you certainly have underlined in no uncertain terms that 'projected' Super8 is the tops!
Old Uncle Barry
------------------
-
October 7th, 2001, 07:15 PM
#25
Matt Pacini
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank Houiellebecq:
I just do not see the point in using film for transfer to video, except of course its quality, but the big picture cannot be beaten for impact, Imax for example.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
(Matt Pacini resonds):
You say "except for its quality" as if that's an afterthought!
That's the whole point of shooting on film, otherwise, nobody would do it!
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
October 8th, 2001, 11:49 AM
#26
Mr Blackstock
Guest
Concerning the honda goldwing quote: motorcycling is about the act of riding, be it on a scooter or a harley. The mode and comfort of the ride should not detract from the joy of the experience. The honda goldwing has for many years been decried as the unfortunate meeting between the ride and comfort. With a stereo, hydraulic main stand and a reverse gear! It seems logical to arrogantly assume that the owner of such machinery would prefer the comfort, having maybe forgotten the ride? Maybe a similar analogy can be corelated to computer editing? Has the super 8 camera been overtaken in importance by the computer or software? is the only reason people use super 8 at all due only to the price and ease of use? Or is it the unique aspects of the gauge? Maybe one day i will also edit on the computer, and enjoy the advantage afforded to so many others. Then again, I drive an old car, use a 486 computer, and still beleive in cash over plastic. Yet i earn enough money to purchase topline video equipment and rent an editing suite.
And yes, the thought has occured to me, I may be a very cheap dinosaur.
------------------
-
October 8th, 2001, 05:02 PM
#27
chas_ucla
Guest
I remember that Star Trek episode, 8th Man...
If it makes you feel better, I'll lend you my editing equipment if you lend me your G4!
Chas
------------------
-
October 9th, 2001, 12:56 AM
#28
Alex
Guest
George Lucas encouraged/convinced Robert Rodriguez to shoot digital video...Spy Kids was shot on Digital Video (that's what I was told)
Mr. Rodgriguez, as told to me through someone who claims to know him, is touting digital video as the format that needs less set-up than film, is clearer than film, and so cheap to shoot you don't even have to stop the camera between takes.
The inner meaning I pick-up from this philosophy is less crew, more self-indulgence, more experimentation, less time between set-ups, more control, more set-ups shot per day, less lighting????
....then you edit yourself in Non-linear, and make a film print...although I still don't understand what format of NLE is of high enough quality to ensure you can make terrific film prints from.
I haven't seen SPY KIDS, but was this film done in digital video?
By Transferring HI-Definition Digital Video to film, it ends up looking like film, that is the claim.
Desperado is the next Rodriguez film, and it is shot in digital video and will be transferred to film for projection.
I said many months ago that whatever medium you start out in, switch to the other for final projection.
If you start out in 35mm, project in HI-Definition Video once it really is as good as a film print.
And if you shoot in HI-DEF Video, make a final print onto 35mm for projection.
I still think that film transferred onto HD-Video would look really phenomenal.
So, HD will be marketed as the format that means less crew, has more clarity, but is it true?
And is this really a better way, to reduce the amount of people needed to make a film?
------------------
Alex
-
October 9th, 2001, 03:24 AM
#29
chas_ucla
Guest
Until I can afford a G4 I'm editing the "old fashioned way" with my Hervic Splicer and a viewer.
------------------
-
October 9th, 2001, 03:44 AM
#30
8th Man
Guest
Spock said in Star Trek "having is not always as nice a thing as wanting, it may not be logical but it is often true." I'm writing this on a G4 and I have Final cut Pro and yet I look forward to cutting film with a splicer on my next S8 project.
Sorry to geek out with the Spock reference, but I'd quote my five year old niece if it made sence at the time.
------------------
PRM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks